Application for License Document with Red Approved Stamp

Are you hoping to start a small business in the Kansas City area? We know that you most likely have questions about small business law and we have answers at Saxton Law Firm. A common question that future entrepreneurs ask us is – what licenses and permits do you need to start your business in Kansas City, MO? We can help point you in the right direction here at Saxton Law Firm in Kansas City, MO.

What Types of Licenses and Permits Do You Need for Your Small Business?

Did you know that KCMO Business Licenses are required for all businesses in Kansas City, MO? No matter what type of business you may be – Sole Proprietor, Partnership or Corporation. KCMO Business Licenses are an annual license and expire on December 31 each year. There are three different ways to apply for a KCMO Business License in the Kansas City area.

How To Apply for a KCMO Business License

  • Use the QuickTax Online System to register your business. 
  • Complete a RD-100 Registration Application and fax or email the completed form to
  • Visit the City Hall during business hours to have your KCMO Business License issued.
Business Spelled Out with Different Parts of License Plates on Black Background

Additional licenses, permits and certifications may be required for your business in Kansas City based on your business activity. For example – pubs, bars, restaurants and caterers that wish to sell and serve liquor are subject to a variety of types of liquor licenses in Kansas City

What Are Common Types of Business Licenses and Permits?

Do you have your KCMO Business License? Are you unsure what types of licenses and permits you need to start your business? We can help here at Saxton Law Firm. Here is a short list of a few common types of business licenses and permits that you may need before you open your business and who you need to contact to get started. Contact local officials for more detailed information.

Type of BusinessLicensing Organization
Accountant – CPAsKansas Board of Accountancy
Plumbing – PlumberCity/County Clerk
Architecture Firm – BusinessBoard of Technical Professions
Beverage ManufacturerKansas Department of Agriculture
BreweryKansas Department of Agriculture
Car DealerKansas Department of Revenue
Fruit/Vegetable MarketKansas Department of Agriculture
Child Day CareKansas Department of Health & Environment
Health Food StoreKansas Department of Agriculture
Internet SalesCity/County Clerk
Landscape ArchitectureBoard of Technical Professions
Marriage and Family TherapistBehavioral Sciences Regulatory Board
WineryKansas Department of Agriculture

How Can a Small Business Attorney Help with Licenses and Permits?

We know. There are a lot of licenses and permits that most businesses need to get started and we know it can be overwhelming and that is where we can help at Saxton Law Firm. With our experience and knowledge as small business attorneys – and as a small business ourselves – we can help make certain that you have the correct licenses, permits and certifications that you need to get your business up and running in Kansas City. 

READ MORE: Can Personal Property Be Seized When a Business is Sued?

Do you need help starting your own business? Do you have questions? Do you want to know – what licenses and permits do you need to start your business in Kansas City, MO? Saxton Law Firm can help provide the answers and information you need. Contact Saxton Law Firm today for a FREE case review!